Monday, April 28, 2014

Threshold Crossed!

Today, Monday, 28 April 2014 I was issued my Inspection Authorization Certificate (IA) by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)!

For the two years that we have been back in the USA I have been working feverishly toward my IA.  The FAA requires that a mechanic hold  both Airframe and Powerplant (A&P) Mechanic's ratings for at least three years, and actively work as a mechanic for at least two years straight to be eligible for an IA.  We knew that this rating would be the great threshold between us and the ultimate success of the mission.

Thank you for providing this well in the Kaloga Area.

Two weeks ago, I traveled with fellow pilot/mechanic, Kurt Blymiller, to Nashville to attend Baker's School of Aeronautics (Kurt went to complete his A&P).  Kurt is an Airline Transport Pilot (ATP), the highest pilot rating in the USA, and is type-rated in numerous turbine aircraft.   He informed me that the A&P tests were the MOST DIFFICULT battery of tests he has ever taken...also said that the only difficult test left for me to attain the rest of my flight ratings is the "Instrument" (IFR).  "The rest is just plane fun", he said!  Time will tell if he told me the truth...!

Next Steps:   I have purchased a test prep package and have started working on my Fundamentals of Instruction (FOI).  I plan to continue with my Ground Instructor ratings until I'm back in the air again.  This will also give me the academic refresher that I need as a pilot too...it's sure to "knock the rust out from under my wings."  Also, in May we will be solidifying the dates for our next Africa trips!

I'm now based at 2D1 providing light maintenance, inspections, and installations on light aircraft.  You con drop in nearly any time to check us out &/or support our mission.